We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
RSS FeedChange Management

Jubilee gives retail sales a "much-needed boost"


the CBI’s latest monthly distributive trades survey shows sales and orders are growing but still below norm

Article comments

Jubilee celebrations added a much-needed boost to the high street, as the latest data showed on Wednesday that retail sales and orders rose in the year to June, but are still below the norm for the time of year.

A growing 58 percent of retailers said sales volumes were up on a year ago, leaving a balance of 42 percent, stronger than retailers had expected and the fastest growth reported since December 2010, according to the CBI’s latest monthly distributive trades survey.

The survey, which covers the first two weeks in June, also showed better than expected growth in orders, marking up the highest balance in a year and a half.

Retailers said they expected strong increases in both sales and order volumes in the year to July but expected the pace of growth to slow compared to June.

Despite the positive signs, the volume of sales is below average for the time of year, the study said.

“Retailers have continued to report strong growth in both their sales and orders. The Jubilee provided a much-needed boost to our high streets ...," Judith McKenna, Asda’s chief operating officer, said.

“However, it is notable that sales were still considered to be below par for the time of year. Weak consumer confidence and uncertainty over the economic outlook are still putting a brake on consumer spending across the whole retail sector,” McKenna, Asda’s former CFO and chair of the CBI distributive trades panel, added.

Share:

Recommended Articles

Comments

Jubilee gives retail sales a
Change Management

Is the FTSE 350 hiding behind token women appointments?

Is the FTSE 350 hiding behind token women appointments?

There are just 16 female executives in the first five FTSE 100 companies and technology firms fare even worsemore ..


Met Office teams up with Heathrow to improve flight decisions

IT connects Met Office workers in Heathrow with supercomputing power from its Exeter basemore ..

Customer satisfaction falls for third month in a row

CFOs are in prime position to improve customer satisfaction, CEO of Customer Service Institute saysmore ..

Reckitt Benckiser to demerge pharmaceutical business

The separate UK listing is expected to take place over the next 12 months, the company said in its half-year results updatemore ..

Making multi-supplier outsourcing work

It is not enough to assign a contract and then expect the outsourcer to run with it independentlymore ..

Interim CFO or consultant? The pros and cons

Ed Harding offers an insight into the life of an interim CFO and the advantages in driving transformationmore ..

Send to a friend

Email this article to a friend or colleague:


PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the recipient know who sent the story, and in case of transmission error. Both your name and the recipient's name and address will not be used for any other purpose.



In Depth
Can finance rise to the challenge of major transformation?

Can finance rise to the challenge of major transformation?

Outdated finance processes, systems and competencies leave too many questions unanswered more ..

In Depth
Interim CFO or consultant? The pros and cons

Interim CFO or consultant? The pros and cons

Ed Harding offers an insight into the life of an interim CFO and the advantages in driving transformation more ..

Advertisement

* *